Most Holy Trinity Parish

Tucson, Arizona

9/23/2005

"St. John of the Cross"

"St. John of the Cross"

True spirituality is utterly countercultural because it’s non-merchandisable, non-measurable, non-provable. It is precisely nothing. Who wants to be nothing in this world? This culture’s goal is for us to be something, to be everything, to “win friends and influence people.”

St. John of the Cross puts it this way: “In order to come to pleasure you have not, you must go by a way that you will enjoy not. To come to the knowledge that you have not, you must go by a way that you know not. To come to the possession that you have not, you must go by a way in which you possess not. To come to be what you are not, you must go by a way that you are not” (Ascent of Mount Carmel, I, 13, #10).

We fear nothingness, of course. That’s why we fear death, too. I suspect that death is the shocking realization that everything I thought was me, everything I held onto so desperately, was precisely nothing. The nothingness we fear so much is, in fact, the treasure that we long for. We long for the space where there is nothing to prove and nothing to protect; where I am who I am, and it’s enough. Spirituality teaches us how to get naked ahead of time, so God can make love to us as we really are.

from Letting Go: A Spirituality of Subtraction

1 Comments:

  • At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Watch for lane closures on I-90 tomorrow
    Interstate 90 will be reduced to one eastbound lane Saturday between Argonne and University.
    Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my make money related site. It is special to me plus you may find something of interest.This has a great business opportunity as well

     

Post a Comment

<< Home