Most Holy Trinity Parish

Tucson, Arizona

6/20/2007

This idea of control continues to be on my mind. I had read the speech Mother Teresa gave at the 1994 National Prayer breakfast some time ago and a portion of it came into my mind again as I contemplate control. So I’ll share that section with you now.

I had the most extraordinary experience of love of neighbor with a Hindu family. A gentleman came to our house and said: "Mother Teresa, there is a family who have not eaten for so long. Do something." So I took some rice and went there immediately. And I saw the children - their eyes shining with hunger. I don't know if you have ever seen hunger. But I have seen it very often. And the mother of the family took the rice I gave her and went out. When she came back, I asked her: "Where did you go? What did you do?" And she gave me a very simple answer: "They are hungry also." What struck me was that she knew - and who are they? A Muslim family - and she knew. I didn't bring any more rice that evening because I wanted them, Hindus and Muslims, to enjoy the joy of sharing. – Mother Teresa

What strikes me was how, by not bringing more rice, Mother Teresa doesn't mingle in controlling the joy of others sharing, that is, of another persons giving and another persons receiving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home